Friday, September 26, 2014

CSC165: Third Week

            Welcome to my second blog on the course CSC165. As stated in my previous blog, this class is quite challenging but also very rewarding. Logic and reasoning is one of my favourite areas of study as it makes you think very abstractly. I was right in assuming I messed up one question in the first tutorial quiz but I know what I did incorrectly and still feel confident about the material we have covered. I feel as though I did much better in this week’s tutorial quiz.
            Throughout the third week of CSC165: Mathematical Expression and Reasoning for Computer Science, we began by learning about conjunction (“and”) and disjunction (“or”). I also learned the symbols for “and” & “or” which are an arrow pointing up and an arrow pointing down, respectively. The only frustrating thing about conjunction and disjunction is the English usage of “and” & “or” sometimes varies from the logic and mathematical usage, so it is important to note the difference. In logic, “and” will combine two statements by declaring they are both true. Using “or” will combine two statements by declaring that at least one of them is true. It is also known in English as “and/or”. After conjunction and disjunction, we went more into depth with negation. Negation is a concept that I do not find too difficult. It is pretty straightforward.
            A few things that I found really useful this week that I feel will help me immensely in this course:
  1.   During the tutorial, our TA put a list of statements that mean the same thing but use different symbols on the board. It really help me understand what the statements and symbols mean.
  2. In Monday and Wednesday’s lectures, professor Heap went over truth tables which really assist you in interpreting predicates. To me, they are much more helpful than Venn Diagrams.
  3. I learned that many laws in arithmetic also apply in logic, such as the commutative, associative and distributive properties.
  4. De Morgan’s Law is useful when trying to negate certain statements.
             This course does not relate much to all of my other courses and I feel like it will stay that way throughout the whole semester. I am enrolled in MAT135: Calculus 1 (A), but I feel like if I had chosen MAT137, it would relate to CSC165 much more. Assignment #1 has been released and is due on October 3rd. I am working with two other guys on this assignment and at this point we have pretty well all of it done. I am quite confident in our answers which is reassuring because midterms are slowly approaching, with the midterm for this class being on October 8th. It is nerve-wracking but I should be okay for it as long as I read over my notes and do many practice problems. I will keep this blog updated weekly with my frustrations, worries, achievements, and basically every other emotion. Thank you for reading.


            -J.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment